Immediate opening for a Natural Land Manager
Seeking an independent, self-motivated worker to manage a natural area on Sauvie Island, Oregon (approximately 9 miles north of downtown Portland). Responsibilities include controlling non-native vegetation, removing trash/debris, and overseeing the establishment of native vegetation throughout the site. The job would require the ability to distinguish between numerous species of native and non-native plant species. Applicant would need to be able to operate small farm equipment, simple mechanical devices (including mowers, weed-whackers, chainsaws, etc…), ATVs, small boat, etc. Applicant must currently hold or be able to obtain a pesticide applicators license in Oregon as herbicide application will be one of the methods of controlling invasive weeds, although mechanical removal, hand pulling, and weed-whacking will need to be done frequently, as well. The cost for license application, testing, and required continuing education classes will be paid by Employer. Additional tasks may include supplemental seeding and planting to ensure native vegetation is establishing as required. One to two weeks of travel per month may be required in certain months to maintain other natural areas, as needed.
- Ability and willingness to spend a majority of time working outdoors under a variety of environmental conditions.
- Physically able to walk in excess of 10 miles/day.
- One to two weeks of travel per month may be required in spring/summer months to maintain other natural areas in Washington and/or southern Oregon, as needed.
- Basic computer/writing skills.
- Basic mechanical skills.
- At least 18 years old with a valid Oregon driver’s license and a clean and insurable DMV record.
- Agricultural or similar background.
- Current Oregon pesticide applicators license.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of equipment such as 4wd vehicles, trailers, ATVs, power tools, small tractors, and construction equipment.
- General knowledge of native and non-native plants as well as local wildlife.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO TELEPHONE CALLS, PLEASE – RESUMES WILL BE ACCEPTED BY EMAIL OR U.S. MAIL ONLY.